Monday, May 30, 2011

Nostalgia

Two afternoons ago we decided to go on a walk. Now, on our walks we make it maybe 1/8 of a mile. Nevaeh, the wanderer, never lets us get too far. We must stop and look at the cows, bugs, birds and ants. There are flowers to be eaten and nature to soak in. It's her favorite thing on earth.....all of earth.

We made it to the High School....1/8 of a block and we made the decision to play in the football field since school was out. Reaching the back of the school I see the public pool that is located at the park right next to the H.S....I knew that there was a pool at the park and that people come here to play Frisbee Golf... don't ask, I honestly don't know what the game is all about, but it's a fast and growing sport around here. What I didn't know, was that there was miles of hills, a bubbling brook with bridges, beautiful flowers growing, picnic tables, BBQ's and a huge play area. How did I not know about this?

We spent hours there. There was a farm at the top as well with about 20 baby cows. Jason and I were trying to navigate them towards the exit when they stopped on a bridge to watch a mini waterfall. I said "come on girls...lets go." Nevaeh's fast reply was "no, we throw rocks." To which Selah repeated. I was about to get after them when I thought "what the hell" and picked up a rock and thew it....FUN! I picked up more and started aiming for big rocks, metals and of course the water. As we were picking our rocks out to chuck down the waterfall I had a flashback to my childhood. My sister and I were never home in the summer. We would play along our brook and played in our woods and our parks and we chucked rocks and explored our neighborhood until dark every day. What a fun time and now I get to do it all over again.

It never occurred to me that one of the highlights to being a mom is getting to live out your childhood again. This time with a lot more control and understanding of the quickly lost and fragile state of our youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment