Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Midwest Storm

We went to bed at our regular "late" hour of 12:30pm and then I tossed and turned. My back was bugging me and I couldn't sleep and when I can't sleep it means Jason doesn't get any sleep. I have to be asleep before Jason lays down because if I am not then his snoring will keep me awake and I eventually kick him out...I kicked him out.

I thought "Finally, I will get some sleep." I did, somewhere around 2am I nodded off. At approximately 4am I awoke to an alarm going off and a strobe light flashing. The sounds of the thunder, rain and wind were so ferocious  that I thought the alarm had been the tornado sirens. My first reaction was the children. Then I realized that I no longer heard the siren sound so I rushed downstairs to get Jason. He tells me it's not a tornado and I yelled "well, get up stairs, I'M FREAKING OUT" and I was too because I got light headed and realized I was about to pass out. The kids started crying so we went up to them and let them crawl in bed with us.

Jason checked the weather and assured me that this was not a tornado. We attempted to fall asleep and I ended up in a ball on the bottom corner of our bed. I seriously don't know how people sleep with your children. Selah just kept pushing further and further into me until I was on the floor. At that point I had had enough and put the kids back in their room with a movie to distract them from the storm.

"Alright, it's 5:30am, just close your eyes and try to get some sleep, you can do this. 2 hours will give you what you need to survive the day."

6am - Get up and yell at the kids to be quiet
6:30am - Jason goes in and tells the kids to lay down and be quiet
7am - Go in and put them back in bed and yell and scream at them to go to sleep FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
7:30 ignore them and try our best to salvage 30 minutes of sleep. That is the last thing I remember until 8:30 when I tell Jason he is late for work. He says he called in and I whisper something along the lines of "I love you, your the best, can  you get up and take care of the kids" and passed out.

Selah came in and crawled in bed with me at 9am and Jason found her and locked the door. At 10am I awoke to someone screaming and decided that this would be the worst day of my life. Wandered downstairs a little while later to relieve Jason so he could go into work. Somewhere in the course of an hour it became abundantly clear that I would not make it through the day alone. Nevaeh was a neurotic mess and Selah would not stop throwing fits and screaming to which Danica would start to cry. This was going to take a team! Jason called in and we tag teamed them until an early bedtime. I had to run some errands and went with Lacey who had some errands of her own and by the time I got home at 7ish I was ruined. We rushed the kids off to bed, turned on Netflix, ate pizza and got to bed at the early hour of midnight.....we seriously need help.


  1. I read your post about 30 minutes ago and then saw this: http://projectnursery.com/2011/07/help-for-the-sleep-deprived-parent/

    But surely someone can come up with one that doesn't cost $90. Seriously?

    Hope you got some good sleep last night. xoxo

  2. That webpage is awesome. I can't get off of there!